What is this?
Often times we would like to get started with a particular technology but are confused where to start and which are the best resources to read online in order to best go about it. The Launchpad is a resource to address this, with web resources handpicked to get you started with various web technologies.
These are not reference pages, so if you simply need to know the syntax etc then go search on google or duckduckgo. These links are more about either having a good introduction to a particular technology, or a link which takes you though some insightful details.
This is a growing and living list. More topics and articles will be added with time. So keep checking back from time to time. The goal is to have, over time, a definitve (but as short as possible) list of resources for each important web topic.
If you want to suggest a particular resource be added (or removed) from this list, then please do leave a suggestion.
- Why Bother with Accessibility? - 24ways article by Laura Kalbag
- Smackdown on an ignorant person who does not care about accessibility by Bruce Lawson
- Introduction to Web Accessibility - by WAI.
Accessibility > ARIA
- The WAI-ARIA Primer.
- An introduction to using WAI-ARIA - on IBM Human Ability and Accessibility Center.
- The Accessibility of WAI-ARIA - on A List Apart. Be sure to check out the comments too.
- Clearing some confusions about ARIA and HTML5.
Accessibility > WebVTT
- An explanation of what WebVTT is and how it works by Silvia Pfeiffer.
- An Introduction to WebVTT and <track> element by Ian Devlin.
Accessibility > Government Regulations
- Section 508 of the United States of America.
- EUROPA Web Accessiblity Policy of The European Union.
- Equality Act 2010 of the United Kingdom.
- Standard on the Accessibility, Interoperability and Usability of Web Sites of Canada.
- Federal Ordinance on Barrier-Free Information Technology of Germany.
- Disability Discrimination Act of Australia.
- The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2011 [PDF] of India.
- More details of government accessiblity standards of the world by the powermapper.com blog.
CSS > border-radius
CSS > Flexbox
- The complete guide to flexbox via css-tricks.com.
- Flexbox : fast track to layout nirvana? on dev.opera.com.
- Solved by Flexbox - Showcase and explanations of the different ways Flexbox can be used.
Design > Typography
- The Service Worker explainer document on Github.
- An explanation of Service Workers by Jake Archibald.
- Network connectivity: optional Presentation video by Jake Archibald.
Best Practices > Responsive Design
- Responsive Web Design - Classic article on ALA by Ethan Marcotte.
- Creating a Mobile-First Responsive Web Design - Thoughts by Brad Frost.
- Love your devices: adaptive web design with media queries, viewport and more - Article by Chris Mills.
- Understanding Viewport - A series of examples by Andreas Bovens.
- Techniques and tricks to prepare your websites for the multi-screen future - by Andreas Bovens.
Best Practices > Web Performance
- Design for Performance - Insightful presentation by Lara Swanson.
- Effectively Managing Memory at Gmail scale.
- jankfree.org - Compilation of resources related to jank free pages.